About Me

My photo
Los Angeles News Anchor, L.A. enthusiast

Thursday, September 2, 2010

DEVINE DOINGS: Jazzed!

The sweet sound of jazz filled the car... just as it did when I was a teenager.   And it brought back a beautiful memory.  My dad was a high school principal, MY principal.   The good side of that weird deal was that I always had a ride to school.  And on that ride dad played jazz.  Or rather the radio did.  Or was it a cassette?(yes, back in the day we played cassettes.  Young folk... Google it!)  

I was reminded of this teen time as I drove home from work last night... and jazz was on the radio.  My father is long gone, died about ten years ago.   But oh, if he could see me now.  As I drove along Sunset Blvd. it wasn't my ol' school hip-hop boomin' from the car... I wasn't singing along to Katie Perry or pop... I wasn't rockin' to my fiance's rock bands... nor was I doing homework (news or talk radio.)  I drove to the soothing sound of jazz.  And I was jazzed!

Seany on BASS
I must admit, my appreciation for jazz got a jump-start just a week ago. Credit the Pasadena Jazz Festival. I got an emergency call to fill-in as emcee.  Their famous comedian host had knee surgery and was out.   Emceeing is what I know... but I knew NOTHING about the musicians.  Immediately I took a crash course.  Wikipedia was my best friend.  I I-tuned every artist.  As insurance, I called on my main man, my musician man.  My fiance' is a bass player(Sean McNabb.)  I insisted Sean emcee with me to avoid looking the fool.  I could provide the facts and figures he'd be color commentary.


Everlast, former lead singer
House of Pain


The line-up at the Pasadena Jazz Fest did not disappoint.  Right before my very eyes stood the legendary Stanley Clarke.  On stage was the ever-enjoyable Booker T.  And tearing-it-up playing, taking it into the crowd, up-and-comer Big Sam of Big Sam's Funky Nation.  
The legendary Stanley Clarke

Big Sam(who wasn't so big after losing about 100 pounds) took his trombone out into the audience, New Orleans style.  Booker T played a fan favorite, "Green Onions."  




Stanley was stunning in every way!  Sean of course was in heaven.   He mingled with the fellow musicians back stage.  Chatted bass guitars with fellow bass players.  Stood front row idolizing Stanley and his every iconic bass move.  There's nothing like live music to move the soul... and we soaked in every live music moment!   


It wasn't until four days later that I started to feel full appreciation.  I  realize now the event brought me back to my roots.  It brought back my dad if even just in my mind.  As I drove, I pondered dad's influence and introduction to jazz.  I remembered those early morning rides to school.  I can still see him groggy, sipping his coffee. I chuckled at wishing he'd change the channel.  "PLEASE play pop music I'd mentally plead."  I smiled at how I've grown.  I enjoyed his contribution.  No doubt he gave me a taste for jazz.  No doubt I'm a part of him as I listen to KKJZ.

How dad would have loved to have gone to the Pasadena Jazz Festival.  All grown up, how I would have loved to have taken him.  How JAZZED we both would have been!   How JAZZED I am, enjoying every musical moment of this memory!

Red White + Bluezz Pasadena Jazz Festival  pasadenajazzfest.com

6 comments:

  1. That is wonderful, I am tearing just reading this. Reading this make's me think of all the happy memorie's that I have locked up in my heart... I am some time's a cry baby and I cry alot, I watch movie's t.v. show's et. and I just cry, to everyone else it might be stupid but to me it's real! I guess the movie's and music etc bring's up thing's that happend and thing's that could happen and I get all teared up. I also see someone making a kind gester or giving a helping hand and I cry happy teaar's. I feel happy and relieved that there are still wonderful and kind people out in this wonderful world... I understand that my comment has nothing to do with Jazz it's just when you said that the festival brough up happy memorie's and it made me think of mine... Have a blessed day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is certainly true that "live music moves the soul" and this experience obviously moved you on many levels...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading...thanks for the comments/feedback... Facebook folk too. Samantha... which Sam? I know four Sams! Love your memory too. Appreciate you sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much Christine for sharing your unique perspective on Jazz, memories and what's really important in life! Like you, my father passed away years ago. However, while he was still here, I also used to listen to Jazz music in his car as a child/adolescent, when I rode with him to various places. Accordingly, those earlier times and conversations that I shared with dad in the car about life's pleasantries will always positively impact how I view life today. As a matter of fact, dad's New Orleans based musical influence contributed significantly to my previous professional career as a Jazz trombonist, before I finally settled on grad school and my current career.

    I'm sure that our respective fathers would be very proud of the people that you and I both turned out to be. Good job on summing up the Pasadena JazzFest, but you did an even better job of evaluating life!

    ReplyDelete