About Me

My photo
Los Angeles News Anchor, L.A. enthusiast

Saturday, October 9, 2010

GRANDMA'S CHICKEN

 Leaving L.A. to enjoy L.A.


My Prius car was packed!
  • Dog crate... check 
  • Suitcase... check  
  • Sunglasses, cell phone, purse... check 

Who hasn't needed a weekend away?!  
Haven't we all wanted to run from the bills, work, chores, children???
Even an L.A. newscaster has to get away from L.A. news from time to time. 



SOMETIMES THE BEST WAY TO ENJOY LA...
 IS TO GET AWAY FROM L.A.!!!

Ice cream w/my niece

I made the trek to San Diego. While just a short two-hour drive my family was convinced I'd arrive late.  Never to disappoint, I was indeed.

San Diego is always a welcome respite.  The stress rolls off me like melted butter as I make the drive south.  I edge into Long Beach, wind my way through the O.C., continue on to Carlsbad.   By the time I  exit the 5 Freeway I have entered a world of bliss.

I am officially on a mini-vacation!  For two days: no chores, no errands, no events, no DVR recordings to watch, no make-up.  Early to bed, early to rise, long walks, home cooked meals, restaurant outings, lots of naps and definitely, NO NEWS.  



THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME

Grandpa's painting


Back home, is now San Diego where my mom has recently relocated from Arizona, from which she'd relocated decades ago from Buffalo, New York.  On the wall were reminders of that up-state NY back home.  An old sepia picture of grandma.  An oil painting by grandpa.  Both have passed.  The home long gone.

Which brings me to the present.  Grandma's Chicken.  






GRANDMA'S ceramic CHICKEN

Call it a family heirloom.  It means nothing to anyone else.  It is a life-size black and white ceramic chicken painted by grandma.  It adorned their country-style picture-perfect creek-side country home quite perfectly.  What it represented was worth millions.  It represented my early childhood.

Grandma, Dolores Seufert     d. 2008
Mom tried to pawn it off on me.  "Do you want Grandma's Chicken" she asked?  I turned up my nose knowing I already had a pack-rat problem.

Three days later I returned to L.A. rested(and chicken-less) to once again face the big city.


THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES


As I reflect now on my weekend away I can't stop thinking about Grandma's Chicken.  

While I grew up in Arizona, I was born into a family of farmers in upstate New York.  We picked fresh raspberries, got our milk from the dairy down the street.  Grew our own lettuce, tomatoes, peas, radishes.  Canned our own jam.  Hatched our own chickens. Grandma turned to crafts as she aged. The ceramic chicken was one of her many projects.  
Mom on Peace Corps  magazine
cover. She instilled in me a
passion for service & community


Mom had fled the farm and joined the Peace Corps.  Her life in Brazil led to me.  Our life in Arizona is what I know best.  Visits to grandma and grandpa's were my paradise.


LOVING L.A.
Mom making health smoothy.
Nothing goes to waste.  Has
avocado AND the pit!


That weekend away reminded me of what gives this country kid (turned Arizona gal, turned Cali gal) the 
strength to survive the big city. 


 Grandma's ceramic chicken and all it represents are what make me ME.   It represents the foundation, rules, roots and reasons.














That weekend away was what I needed to remember and re-charge. It was just what the doctor ordered to live, work, like, and love L.A. once again!






   

5 comments:

  1. Didn't know you had a blog, well continue, adding to your blog and more will come visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. San Diego is a great get away. I also <3 camping in Santa Barbara its the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! Thanks Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Camping in Santa Barbara sounds awesome! I got sick of camping though as a kid!!

    Mom was just out. Seems she was unable to part with Grandma's Chicken. It just means too much to us all! Sorry Goodwill!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine, make sure that chicken stays in your family. You and your family members will not regret keeping it! It's an heirloom to remember.

    ReplyDelete